Monday 5 November 2012

Part Two 'The Boy who always Smiles' the ten years between Rehab and Mental Hospital


The Boy Who Always Smiles  picks up the story upon my graduation from rehab. I return to Australia, spending most of the next ten years backpacking. I find ‘home’ amongst the other backpackers, and feel liberated, young and free. It is an exciting and fun environment with lots of adventures. I feel I have dodged a bullet in rehab, and relieved that the censorship of my life allowed me to avoid the traumas of my adolescence.

     I have found my happiness not only in my friends, but my gypsy nature is as much about being distracted and a means to escape, as it is about being a ‘free spirit’. I am drinking excessively. I move over forty times in ten years. To a large extent my sexuality remains a secret, although there are desperate, dangerous moments of indiscriminate and promiscuous sex, and a one-off attempt at prostitution.

     As my drinking and other coping mechanisms become more deeply entrenched, this part of the book reaches its climax when a disgruntled backpacker sets fire to a hostel, killing fifteen of the hostellers in 2000, at Childers, Queensland. This traumatic event triggers flashbacks to my adolescence, when sexual abuse took place. I begin suffering anxiety, flashbacks and insomnia.

     I return to my family in New Zealand. This is to become the final destination after ten years of running away. I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment