Sunday 16 September 2012

Characters - (2) Ruth


My mother is a key character in all parts of the story. An unconventional co-dependent and dysfunctional relationship between my mother and myself is displayed throughout.
She is an alcoholic, and addicted to copious prescription medications. Ruth survives several medical emergencies, including a couple of suicide attempts.

My early memories of her describe a capable and respected Corps Officer (Minister) of the Salvation Army alongside my father, an accomplished columnist, orator, and a creative and artistic woman. This book will relay the story behind our withdrawal from the Salvation Army, as a young family (Ruth was having an affair with one of the congregation), the development of her alcoholism from that point..... and it’s far reaching impact).

No comments:

Post a Comment