Sunday 16 September 2012

Characters (3)


Craig McCafferty: In the book Craig conducts my interview for me to go to rehab. After a short period of time on Rotoroa I discover he was the former Superintendant of the island. It was alleged that he had been caught dipping his hands into the patient's funds. He was stripped of his post and his Salvation Army uniform... But his indiscretions were dealt with internally.

The 'Major': The Major is the Program Director, and my Group Therapist on the island. He calls me to his office on my first day on the island and requests that I keep my homosexuality a secret from the other patients as they might feel threatened by my status. In turn, I go one step further, as I begin the charade of 'editing' my life. In order to manipulate the staff and management, I claim to have found my Higher Power, I join 'The Rotoroa Island Singers' who perform in chapel every week, I play the organ for chapel services, attend Bible class, and become the President of the Patient's Committee.

Hippie Andrew: I meet Hippie Andrew in detox in Auckland, on the mainland and we share a dormitory with two others, for the first few days. He is artistic, and a Vegan, and he has a clash of ideologies with the staff and the religious flavour of the treatment. We form a close bond. He does a home-made tattoo of magic mushrooms on my shoulder as a birthday gift in the first week we are on the island.

Leon: Leon is the first person I meet upon arrival in detox. He is also in our dormitory. At detox, Leon takes me under his wing. He organises cannabis for the boys in our dorm to take to Rotoroa Island with us. He is detected upon arrival and is taken back to the mainland to face charges.

The Stutterer: The Stutterer is a member of my therapy group, and has harrowing stories of what led to her alcoholism. She displays a remarkable quality - her stuttering ceases whenever she is either crying, or singing (she is in 'The Rotoroa Island Singers' alongside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment