Sunday 16 September 2012

Settings in the book


Rotoroa Island, New Zealand, is the dominant setting in this book, but there are several other settings that give background and context to the story.  Some of these include:

Hamilton, New Zealand

-          Te Kowhai – a small community west of Hamilton where I live from the ages of 9 – 17.

-          I am living at my brother John’s house in Hamilton City prior to my entry to rehab.

-          The Nest,  a Salvation Army run orphanage where my sister Mary works during the early 80’s, and where I spend an unforgettable weekend at age 11.

Newcastle, NSW, Australia

-          It is here I develop an IV habit to Speed.

-          It is here where I finally accept my sexuality (I leave NZ at 18 to hide from my family)

-          It is here where I meet my first boyfriend

-          I am living here when Newcastle experiences Australia’s only recorded earthquake that has casualties, 27/12/89
 

 

Other locations from my childhood (all in New Zealand) include:

-          Woodville 1971 -1974

-          Oxford 1975

-          Wellington 1976

-          Kerikeri 1976

-          Waipukurau 1976 – 77

-          Waipawa 1977 – 79

These are towns in which my family live during the first ten years of my life and will appear in flashbacks.  They are evidence of an unsettled childhood and reveal the reasons for the continual change of locations (escaping from my mother’s numerous extra-marital affairs as well as a shameful withdrawal from the Salvation Army).

No comments:

Post a Comment